Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > Europe > United Kingdom > England > London > Royalty

Royalty Gallery

Royalty can be found in London, England, United Kingdom in Europe

Choose from 16,156 pictures in our Royalty collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456 Featured Royalty Print

Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456

HOLLAND HOUSE, Kensington, London. An interior view of the bombed library at Holland House with readers apparently choosing books regardless of the damage. Photographed in 1940. The House was heavily bombed during World War II and remained derelict until 1952 when parts of the remains were preserved.
Holland House, originally known as Cope Castle, was a great house in Kensington in London, situated in what is now Holland Park. Created in 1605 in the Elizabethan or Jacobean style for the diplomat Sir Walter Cope, the building later passed to the powerful Rich family, then the Fox family, under whose ownership it became a noted gathering-place for Whigs in the 19th century. The house was largely destroyed by German firebombing during the Blitz in 1940; today only the east wing and some ruins of the ground floor still remain.
In 1940, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the last great ball held at the house. A few weeks later, on 7 September, the German bombing raids on London that would come to be known as the Blitz began. During the night of 27 September, Holland House was hit by twenty-two incendiary bombs during a ten-hour raid. The house was largely destroyed, with only the east wing, and, miraculously, almost all of the library remaining undamaged. Surviving volumes included the sixteenth-century Boxer Codex.
Holland House was granted Grade I listed building status in 1949, under the auspices of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947; the Act sought to identify and preserve buildings of special historic importance, prompted by the damage caused by wartime bombing. The building remained a burned-out ruin until 1952, when its owner, Giles Fox-Strangways, 6th Earl of Ilchester, sold it to the London County Council (LCC). The remains of the building passed from the LCC to its successor, the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965, and upon the dissolution of the GLC in 1986 to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Today, the remains of Holland House form a backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre, home of Opera Holland Park. The YHA (England and Wales) "London Holland Park" youth hostel is now located in the house. The Orangery is now an exhibition and function space, with the adjoining former Summer Ballroom now a restaurant, The Belvedere. The former ice house is now a gallery space

© Historic England Archive

A Royal Command Portrait at Buck Queen Elizabeth II wearing an evening gown with Featured Royalty Print

A Royal Command Portrait at Buck Queen Elizabeth II wearing an evening gown with

A Royal Command Portrait at Buck
Queen Elizabeth II wearing an evening gown with the blue ribbon of Star of the Garter a diamond necklace ( a wedding present from the City of London) Diamond drop earrings and two diamond bangles. The diamond drop brooch at the top of the blue ribbon is a family heirloom.
Wearing on her head is a diamond diadem the headband of which is composed of a row of diamonds between two rows of pearls April 1953

© TopFoto.co.uk

A set of 8 lithographs - WWI era Featured Royalty Print

A set of 8 lithographs - WWI era

A set of 8 lithographs in a folio. 1) Inscribed Private B. Miller, Queen's Westminsters, out since 1914, 2) Inscribed Of the Labour Battalion, 3) A soldier reading a newspaper, 4) A Scottish soldier writing a letter, 5) Two soldiers, 6) A group of 3 soldiers, 7) A thoughtful looking Tommy, 8) A group of 3 soldiers. . Sylvia Packard (1881-1962). Born In Ipswich, Trained At The Slade In London And Exhibited Her Paintings, Mostly Landscapes, Between 1909 And 1928. In 1916, Sylvia Took Over The Art Department At The Royal School For Officers Daughters In Bath. On Her Retirement From The School, Sylvia Founded (With Rosalind Ord) A Firm Of Tile Manufacturers, Packard & Ord Which Later Became Marlborough Tiles

© David Cohen Fine Art/Mary Evans Picture Library