Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
 
Home > Arts > Artists > E

E Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 2222 pictures in our E collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


The Lennox-Boyd brothers. Around 1915 Featured E Print

The Lennox-Boyd brothers. Around 1915

Studio photograph of Alan Tindal Lennox-Boyd with his brothers. From left to right: George Edward Lennox-Boyd (1902-1943), Alan Tindal Lennox-Boyd (1904-1983), Donald Breay Hague Lennox-Boyd (1906-1939), Francis Gordon Lennox-Boyd (1909-1944). The boys are dressed in outfits resembling First World War British Army officer uniforms. Born on 18th November 1904, Alan was the son of Alan Walter Lennox-Boyd and Florence Annie Begbie. Educated at Sherborne School, Dorset, and Christ Church, Oxford, he married Lady Patricia Florence Susan Guinness on 29th December 1938 and died on 8th March 1983. He held the office of Member of Parliament (Conservative) for Mid-Bedfordshire between 1931 and 1960, holding the positions of Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Labour in 1938, Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Aircraft Production in 1943, Minister of State for Colonial Affairs 1951-1952, Minister for Transport and Civil Aviation, 1952-1954 and Secretary of State for Colonial Affairs, 1954-1959. He served as Lieutenant in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve during the Second World War, was admitted to Inner Temple in 1941 and entitled to practise as a Barrister at Law. Appointed Privy Counsellor in 1951, he held the office of Deputy Lieutenant of Bedfordshire between 1954 and 1960, was managing director of Arthur Guinness & Sons between 1959 and 1967 and appointed Companion of Honour in 1960. He was created 1st Viscount Boyd of Merton in September 1960 and that same year, his wife, Patricia, Viscountess Boyd, purchased Ince Castle in St Stephens by Saltash, Cornwall. In 1965, Viscount Boyd held the office of Deputy Lieutenant of Cornwall. He died on 8th March 1983. The Boyd family lived at Ince Castle until 2018. George, a Major in the Highland Light Infantry, died in a military hospital in Scotland; Donald, a Captain in the Scots Guards, died in custody in Germany in events leading up to the Second World War; Francis, a Major in the Royal Scots Greys, was killed in action at Normandy, France, during the Second World War while leading 22nd Independent Parachute Company. Photographer: James Habgood, Boscombe

© From the collection of the RIC

Corliss steam engine, circa 1900 Featured E Print

Corliss steam engine, circa 1900

Corliss steam engine, circa 1900. This view shows the engine's dynamo and rope drive. Corliss steam engines were a type of engine used to provide mechanical power in factories, and to drive dynamos (as here) to generate electricity. The name of the General Electric Company is at lower left. This photograph is from the collection of the Manchester Historic Association, New Hampshire, USA

© LIBRARY OF CONGRESS/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

Study of Three Girls' Heads, Lucas Cranach the elder (1472-1553) Featured E Print

Study of Three Girls' Heads, Lucas Cranach the elder (1472-1553)

Oil on panel, German School, around 1525. Lucas Cranach the Elder (1472-1553) was a German painter and printmaker. He was one of the leading German painters and printmakers of the Renaissance in the early 16th century. As court painter of the Elector of Saxony, the patron of?Luther, Cranach is remembered as the chief artist of the?Reformation. He painted altarpieces, Lutheran subject pictures and portraits, as well as mythological decorative works and nudes. There is some uncertainty about the authenticity of Cranach the Elder's last name. He is probably named after his birthplace, and there are theories that his real name may have been Sunder or Muller. Many details of his life are also uncertain; he is thought to have visited the Holy Land in 1493. What is known is that he spent much of his life in Wittenburg under the patronage of the Elector Frederick the Wise, who employed him as a court painter. He was also endowed with a coat of arms and was twice the Burgomeister of the town. He later worked for various other German nobles, among them Frederick the Magnanimous, and his career as both a painter and engraver was very successful. Working during the Reformation, Cranach was a devoutly religious man and a friend of Martin Luther, whom he sometimes portrayed in his paintings. He retired in 1552 to Weimar, leaving his sons, Hans and Lucas the Younger, to carry on his workshop. This painting is believed to be a study for the three goddesses of Venus, Juno or Minerva in Cranach's masterpiece, The Judgement of Paris. It is thought also to be a triple portrait of Cranach's three daughters

© RIC, photographer Mike Searle