Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
 
Home > Historic England > More features

More features Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Other themes and concepts

Choose from 649 pictures in our More features collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery. We are proud to offer this selection in partnership with Historic England.


Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456 Featured More features Print

Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456

HOLLAND HOUSE, Kensington, London. An interior view of the bombed library at Holland House with readers apparently choosing books regardless of the damage. Photographed in 1940. The House was heavily bombed during World War II and remained derelict until 1952 when parts of the remains were preserved.
Holland House, originally known as Cope Castle, was a great house in Kensington in London, situated in what is now Holland Park. Created in 1605 in the Elizabethan or Jacobean style for the diplomat Sir Walter Cope, the building later passed to the powerful Rich family, then the Fox family, under whose ownership it became a noted gathering-place for Whigs in the 19th century. The house was largely destroyed by German firebombing during the Blitz in 1940; today only the east wing and some ruins of the ground floor still remain.
In 1940, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the last great ball held at the house. A few weeks later, on 7 September, the German bombing raids on London that would come to be known as the Blitz began. During the night of 27 September, Holland House was hit by twenty-two incendiary bombs during a ten-hour raid. The house was largely destroyed, with only the east wing, and, miraculously, almost all of the library remaining undamaged. Surviving volumes included the sixteenth-century Boxer Codex.
Holland House was granted Grade I listed building status in 1949, under the auspices of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947; the Act sought to identify and preserve buildings of special historic importance, prompted by the damage caused by wartime bombing. The building remained a burned-out ruin until 1952, when its owner, Giles Fox-Strangways, 6th Earl of Ilchester, sold it to the London County Council (LCC). The remains of the building passed from the LCC to its successor, the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965, and upon the dissolution of the GLC in 1986 to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Today, the remains of Holland House form a backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre, home of Opera Holland Park. The YHA (England and Wales) "London Holland Park" youth hostel is now located in the house. The Orangery is now an exhibition and function space, with the adjoining former Summer Ballroom now a restaurant, The Belvedere. The former ice house is now a gallery space

© Historic England Archive

Coventry Cathedral CC47_02918 Featured More features Print

Coventry Cathedral CC47_02918

Cathedral Church Of St Michael, Bailey Lane, Coventry. The shell of the old Cathedral viewed from the south east with a basement exposed beneath derelict ground at the corner of Bailey Lane and Priory Street. Motor cars are parked on the street. Photographed in April 1946 by James Nelson for the National Buildings Record

© Historic England Archive

Lords Cricket Ground 24418_035 Featured More features Print

Lords Cricket Ground 24418_035

LORDS CRICKET GROUND, St Johns Wood, London. Founded on this site in 1814 the "Home of Cricket" is owned by the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), and is host to Middlesex County Cricket and the England and Wales Cricket Board. The Pavilion, shown here, was built in 1889-90 and is a Grade II* listed building. Primarily used by members of the MCC, it contains the famous Long Room, honours boards and the dressing rooms for the two teams

© Historic England