Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004

Ww 2 Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 151 pictures in our Ww 2 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456 Featured Print

Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456

HOLLAND HOUSE, Kensington, London. An interior view of the bombed library at Holland House with readers apparently choosing books regardless of the damage. Photographed in 1940. The House was heavily bombed during World War II and remained derelict until 1952 when parts of the remains were preserved.
Holland House, originally known as Cope Castle, was a great house in Kensington in London, situated in what is now Holland Park. Created in 1605 in the Elizabethan or Jacobean style for the diplomat Sir Walter Cope, the building later passed to the powerful Rich family, then the Fox family, under whose ownership it became a noted gathering-place for Whigs in the 19th century. The house was largely destroyed by German firebombing during the Blitz in 1940; today only the east wing and some ruins of the ground floor still remain.
In 1940, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the last great ball held at the house. A few weeks later, on 7 September, the German bombing raids on London that would come to be known as the Blitz began. During the night of 27 September, Holland House was hit by twenty-two incendiary bombs during a ten-hour raid. The house was largely destroyed, with only the east wing, and, miraculously, almost all of the library remaining undamaged. Surviving volumes included the sixteenth-century Boxer Codex.
Holland House was granted Grade I listed building status in 1949, under the auspices of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947; the Act sought to identify and preserve buildings of special historic importance, prompted by the damage caused by wartime bombing. The building remained a burned-out ruin until 1952, when its owner, Giles Fox-Strangways, 6th Earl of Ilchester, sold it to the London County Council (LCC). The remains of the building passed from the LCC to its successor, the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965, and upon the dissolution of the GLC in 1986 to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Today, the remains of Holland House form a backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre, home of Opera Holland Park. The YHA (England and Wales) "London Holland Park" youth hostel is now located in the house. The Orangery is now an exhibition and function space, with the adjoining former Summer Ballroom now a restaurant, The Belvedere. The former ice house is now a gallery space.

© Historic England Archive

Women war workers making ammunition shells in 24F Shop, 1943. Featured Print

Women war workers making ammunition shells in 24F Shop, 1943.

Women war workers making ammunition shells in 24F Shop, 1943.
These women have been tasked with the pressing on of copper bands and insertion of base plates for 25-pounder quick firing, high explosive, streamline shells. They are using a specialist Aldous- Campbell Ltd high pressure machine which fits both copper band and base plate securely in position. The lady to the right of the machine is holding a shell in position and a notice board (just out of shot) states that two presses, one of eight seconds and another of five seconds, are required in the machine to seal the shell.

German WWII ramjet engine blueprint Featured Print

German WWII ramjet engine blueprint

German WWII ramjet engine blueprint. This design, for the propulsor ramjet engine to be mounted on top of a Dornier Do 217 E-2 heavy bomber, dates from 1942. This and similar designs were developed during World War II by the Austrian-German aerospace engineer Eugen Sanger (1905-1964) and the German engineer Irene Bredt (1911-1983). Their work on jet propulsion and ramjet engines was intended to enable German bombers to reach the USA. The project was known as the 'Amerika Bomber', and was later named the 'Sanger-Bredt Antipodal Bomber'. None of the designs ever saw action before the end of the war. The text labels are in French.

© DETLEV VAN RAVENSWAAY/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY