St George's Hall OP02751
St George's Hall, St George's Plateau, Liverpool, 1854-55. Attributed to Thomas Sutton (1819-75), salted paper print. Cabs stand outside the newly built neoclassical St George's Hall, designed by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes and completed by Charles Robert Cockerell. The building, combining a public hall and law courts, was erected between 1841 and 1856. The photograph is attributed to Thomas Sutton because the original mount bears the name of the Frenchman Louis-Desire Blanquart-Evrard, who published some of Sutton's negatives in 1854. Sutton and Blanquart-Evrard opened a printing establishment on Jersey in 1855, and launched the journal Photographic Notes the following year. Sutton was a prolific writer on photography, and published A Dictionary of Photography in 1858.
© Historic England
The Company of Surgeons moved from Surgeons Hall in Old Bailey to a site at 41 Lincolns Inn Fields in 1797. Construction of the first College building, to a design by George Dance the Younger, and James Lewis, took from 1805 to 1813. In 1833 Sir Charles Barry won the public competition to design a replacement. The library and portico of this building are all that remain today after a German incendiary bomb hit the College in 1941.
© Mary Evans / Peter & Dawn Cope Collection Mary Evans / Peter & Dawn Cope Collection
First Court of the London Season at Buckingham Palace, 1922
A cut-away diagram of Buckingham Palace showing where the first court of the London Season, 1922. The entry for those attending Court was by way of the West Portico entrance and the Court itself was held in the big ball-room seen to the left of the diagram. Date: 1922
© Illustrated London News Ltd/Mary Evans
1922, Attending, Ball, Ballroom, Buckingham, Building, Buildings, Court, Courts, Cross, Diagram, Diagrams, Entrance, Event, Events, Historical, History, Landmark, Landmarks, London, Palace, Portico, Presentations, Residence, Residences, Room, Royal, Royalty, Season, Section, Social, Society, Tradition, Traditions, West