19th-century tin mine, Cornwall
19th-century tin mine, Cornwall. Artwork of miners and walkways at the Botallack Copper and Tin Mine at St Just, Cornwall, England. This mine, under various names, dates back to 1721. Undersea excavations were reported from 1778, and this artwork illustrates the situation in around 1862. The workings extended out under the sea for nearly a whole kilometre, and some of the tunnels were only a few metres below the seabed. In 1863 the mine employed nearly 300 men, over 100 women, and over 100 boys. The mine had reached a depth of 400 metres. The fortunes of the mine fluctuated over the years, and eventually it closed in 1914. During its history, it produced thousands of tons of tin and copper. Artwork from Mines and Miners (L. Simonin, 1868).
© SHEILA TERRY/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
The Seated Scribe. 28th-23rd c. BC. It belongs
The Seated Scribe. 28th-23rd c. BC. It belongs to the 4th or 5th dynasty. Painted limestone, glass rock eyes inset into copper. It was found in the Old Kingdom burial ground at Sakkara. Egyptian art. Old Kingdom. Sculpture on rock. FRANCE. Paris. Louvre Museum. Proc: EGYPT. Saqqara. Date:
© Mary Evans Picture Library 2015 - https://copyrighthub.org/s0/hub1/creation/maryevans/MaryEvansPictureID/10682716
23rd, 28th, 4th, 5th, Bc, Belongs, Burial, Copper, Dynasty, Eyes, Found, Glass, Ground, Inset, Kingdom, L Imestone, Old, Painted, Rock, Sakkara, Scribe, Seated
Houseman's Shaft Engine House at South Phoenix Mine DES01_02_010
The roofless shell of Houseman's Shaft Engine House at South Phoenix Mine, Minions, Linkinhorne, Cornwall. List entry number: 1140490. Photographed by Eileen Deste. Date range 1960-1976. The mine was originally opened as Wheal Prosper in the 1830s. In 1836 it was amalgamated with other small mines to form the Cornwall Great United Mines and was later renamed Wheal Phoenix and then South Phoenix. Copper was originally mined at the site, although, as reserves of this dimished, the mine changed to extracting tin. This engine house was added to the site in the mid-19th century. The mine closed in the early 20th century and the engine house in now the Minions Heritage Centre.
© Historic England Archive