Jubilee Procession in a Cornish Village, A.G. Sherwood Hunter (1846-1919)
Oil on canvas, Newlyn School, June 1897. This painting is a wonderful record of a lantern procession held to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. The women and girls in the procession, all dressed in white and carrying Chinese lanterns, are shown snaking their way through the Cornish fishing village of Newlyn. George Sherwood Hunter was born in Aberdeen and visited Newlyn around the turn of the century. He settled there permanently in 1902 where he taught alongside Stanhope and Elizabeth Forbes at the Newlyn School of Painting. Like many artists associated with the Newlyn School, Hunter was interested in depicting working people around the ports and villages of Cornwall. The painting underwent considerable conservation and restoration in 2010 which meant that, for the first time in over 100 years, the exquisitely painted faces of those in the procession could be seen in all their subtle glory. The delicate beauty in the children's faces is made more remarkable when one takes into consideration the very limited palette Hunter works with.
© RIC, photographer Mike Searle
Sandown Pier EPW043023
SANDOWN, Isle of Wight. The Paddle Steamer Sandown arriving at Sandown Pier in August 1939. Sandown Pier was originally much shorter, but was extended in 1895 with a new pavilion and steamer landing stage. It was intended to attract tourism to Sandown and entertainments included a band and a ballroom. Southern Railways PS Sandown operated the Portsmouth-Ryde service across the Solent between 1934 and 1964 when she was finally broken up. Aerofilms Collection (see Links).
© Historic England
The Kursaal, Bexhill EPW000121
THE KURSAAL, de la Warr Parade, Bexhill, Sussex, photographed in 1920. The Kursaal or "Cure Hall" was built in 1896 as Bexhill's first entertainment pavilion, the closest thing to a pier the town ever had. It was renamed the Pavilion after the first world war. It was closed in 1936, shortly after the de la Warr Pavilion (350m to the West) was opened in 1935. The site, near the war memorial, is now occupied by the sailing club. The terrace behind remains, including the Normanhurst Hotel. EPW000121 Aerofilms Collection (see Links).
© Historic England