Red House Restaurant and Donald Healeys Garage, Boscawen Road, Perranporth, Perranzabuloe, Cornwall. Around 1925
The Red House Restaurant and Donald Healey's Garage with a fully laden charabanc AF 3771 outside and three other vehicles including a small sports car and two motor bikes. Mitchells & Son Butcher can be seen to the left of the restaurant. Photograph taken at the junction of St Piran's Road and Boscawen Road. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan
© From the collection of the RIC
Overall view of Newton Abbot Station, Devon, c.1920s
An overall view of Newton Abbot Station, Devon, c.1920s.
The station opened with the name Newton in December 1846 by the South Devon Railway Company. By the time the name was changed to Newton Abbot in 1877 the station had a large goods shed, train sheds and busy workshops which helped with converting the stock and line to standard gauge.
Newton Abbot station underwent an extension and rebuild between the wars, opening in April 1927 with a Culverhouse designed station building
© STEAM Museum of the GWR
The 24 hour race at Le Mans, France for the Rudge-Whitworth Cup
The 24 hour race at Le Mans, France for the Rudge-Whitworth Cup: a huge collision at night. From front to back: Bentley car no.1 with Leslie Callingham (1888-1960) thrown clear, Bentley car no.2 with George Duller (1891-1962) jumping, Bentley no.3 of Sydney Charles Houghton "Sammy" Davis (1887-1981), the eventual race winner along with alternate driver Dr Joseph Dudley Benjafield (1887-1957) and a Schneider that had skidded (driven by Pierre Tabourin). Date: 1927
© Illustrated London News Ltd/Mary Evans