Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456
HOLLAND HOUSE, Kensington, London. An interior view of the bombed library at Holland House with readers apparently choosing books regardless of the damage. Photographed in 1940. The House was heavily bombed during World War II and remained derelict until 1952 when parts of the remains were preserved.
Holland House, originally known as Cope Castle, was a great house in Kensington in London, situated in what is now Holland Park. Created in 1605 in the Elizabethan or Jacobean style for the diplomat Sir Walter Cope, the building later passed to the powerful Rich family, then the Fox family, under whose ownership it became a noted gathering-place for Whigs in the 19th century. The house was largely destroyed by German firebombing during the Blitz in 1940; today only the east wing and some ruins of the ground floor still remain.
In 1940, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the last great ball held at the house. A few weeks later, on 7 September, the German bombing raids on London that would come to be known as the Blitz began. During the night of 27 September, Holland House was hit by twenty-two incendiary bombs during a ten-hour raid. The house was largely destroyed, with only the east wing, and, miraculously, almost all of the library remaining undamaged. Surviving volumes included the sixteenth-century Boxer Codex.
Holland House was granted Grade I listed building status in 1949, under the auspices of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947; the Act sought to identify and preserve buildings of special historic importance, prompted by the damage caused by wartime bombing. The building remained a burned-out ruin until 1952, when its owner, Giles Fox-Strangways, 6th Earl of Ilchester, sold it to the London County Council (LCC). The remains of the building passed from the LCC to its successor, the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965, and upon the dissolution of the GLC in 1986 to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Today, the remains of Holland House form a backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre, home of Opera Holland Park. The YHA (England and Wales) "London Holland Park" youth hostel is now located in the house. The Orangery is now an exhibition and function space, with the adjoining former Summer Ballroom now a restaurant, The Belvedere. The former ice house is now a gallery space.
© Historic England Archive
Ibrox at Night Framed Panoramic
A fantastic framed panoramic photograph of Ibrox at night, in celebration of 140 years of glorious history.
Ibrox Stadium is a football stadium located on the south side of the River Clyde in the Ibrox district of Glasgow. Ibrox is the third largest football stadium in Scotland, having an all-seated capacity of 50, 987.
Ibrox is best known for being the home ground of Rangers FC. It was opened as Ibrox Park in 1899. Vast earthen terraces were built in its place, while a main stand, which is now a listed building, was built in 1928. A British record crowd of 118, 567 gathered in January 1939 for a league match with Celtic. After 1971 the stadium was largely rebuilt. The vast bowl-shaped terracing was removed and replaced by three rectangular, all-seated stands by 1981. After renovations were completed in 1997, the ground was renamed Ibrox Stadium.
The Ibrox pitch is surrounded by four covered all-seater stands, officially known as the Bill Struth Main (south), Broomloan (west), Govan (north) and Copland Road (east) Stands. Each stand has two tiers, with the exception of the Bill Struth Main Stand, which has had three tiers since the Club Deck was added in 1991. The two corner areas, known as the West and East areas of the Govan Stand, have one tier of seating below a JumboTron screen.
Ibrox has also hosted the Scotland national football team, particularly when the national stadium Hampden Park was redeveloped in the 1990s. Ibrox also hosted three Scottish domestic cup finals in the same period. It has also been the venue for concerts by major performers, including Frank Sinatra.
RANG602 (30") RANG603 (Desktop)
© Rangers FC
Geological map of the British Isles
Geological map of the British Isles, with a colour-coded key (right). The geology of the British Isles is extremely varied with rocks from nearly all geological periods. Three rock formation types are shown: sedimentary, metamorphic and igneous. The majority of the rocks in Ireland, England and Wales are sedimentary, with large areas of volcanic and metamorphic rocks in Scotland. The sedimentary rocks are colour-coded by geological period, from most recent to most ancient (top to bottom) in the key, along with rock names. The oldest rocks are in north-west Scotland, the youngest in south-east England. For a simpler map, see C015/2655; an alternate is C015/2657.
© GARY HINCKS/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY