Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > All Images > 1890

1890 Gallery

Choose from 181 pictures in our 1890 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


LCC-MFB, HQ station, Southwark SE1 Featured 1890 Print

LCC-MFB, HQ station, Southwark SE1

The new headquarters of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) opened in 1878 under its Chief Officer Captain Eyre Massey Shaw. With the creation of the London County Council in 1889 it became responsible for the capital's fire service and the MFB changed its name to the London Fire Brigade. Seen here is the HQ engine house with its horse drawn escape cart and two horse drawn steam driven pumps. They were first introduced into the London Fire Engine Establishment (the forerunner of the MFB) in 1860

© London Fire Brigade / Mary Evans Picture Library

MFB and LCC-LFB Mile End fire station, East London Featured 1890 Print

MFB and LCC-LFB Mile End fire station, East London

Built by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade in 1866, this station was passed to the LCC-London Fire Brigade in 1889 when the LCC was created. Located at Frimley Street in the East End of London it closed in 1902 when a replacement Mile End fire station was erected in Mile End Road. The station pictured was built for a horse drawn steamer, hence the 50ft wheeled escape ladder being stored by the side of the station

© London Fire Brigade / Mary Evans Picture Library

Council Chamber BL10039 Featured 1890 Print

Council Chamber BL10039

SPRING GARDENS, Westminster. Interior of the Council Chamber for London County Council. Photographed by Bedford Lemere in 1890 for the architect J Blashill, shortly after the Council Chamber had been fitted out. London County Council was created in 1889. It took over the role of the Metropolitan Board of Works and adopted its headquarters in Spring Gardens near Trafalgar Square. London County Council later moved to County Hall in Lambeth, where construction started in 1909

© Historic England